You will discover Romanian cooking traditions. We chose the famous region of Transylvania where one can find a mixture of cultures, Romanian, German, Hungarian, which influenced the local cooking traditions. We will mix cooking with culture, by visiting the most important and beautiful medieval cities of Transylvania: Sibiu, Sighisoara, Fagaras and the famous Saxon fortified churches. We will cook each day in the morning and during the evening we will eat and enjoy what we have prepared, together with a small wine tasting. We will be split in 2-3 teams. Each team will cook something else and we will taste everything prepared. Every team should have at least 2 members. Each evening we will taste 2 wines, all typical Romanian, and we will get a taste of Romanian wines. We will be hosted in a local pension, where you will meet farmers and enjoy sitting and talking with them.
This morning you’ll cook:
- Supa de galuste – dumplings soup;
- Typical Romanian lamb soup;
- Mamaliga cu Sarmale – the most famous Romanian dish, meatballs wrapped in pickled cabbage leaves and polenta;
- Romanian lamb stew;
- Papanasi – another typical Romanian cake – a kind of donuts with cheese, cream and comfiture;
- Galuste cu prune (plum dumplings) – can be eaten as dessert, a meatless main dish or side dish. Like Polish and Croatian plum dumplings, the dough is made with mashed potatoes. Small lunch and after everything is cooked, we leave for Sibiu. In the evening we will come back home and eat what we have cooked.
Departure to Sighisoara. Today we have a day off, so we will visit the fortified church from Biertan, the Lutheran church from Medias, and enjoy a wine tasting in a small winery next to Biertan. We will arrive around lunch time in Sighisoara, free lunch. In the afternoon we’ll visit Sighisoara, and after you enjoy some free time in the city, you can also enjoy the SPA at the hotel where we will be staying.
Sighisoara – Viscri – Fagaras. We’ll head towards Fagaras. On the way we’ll stop for lunch and a short visit in Viscri, a former German community. Here we’ll visit the church and a local workshop of wool products. We will also have lunch at a local family. The community is sponsored by Prince Charles’s Foundation in Transylvania. In the afternoon we’ll arrive in Fagaras, where we’ll meet our “cooking teacher”, Daniela, an important personality in this area. She will present us important traditions and cooking recipes. Dinner and accommodation.
In the morning we will cook :
- A Hungarian goulash soup;
- A German soup;
- Duck with cabbage, an old Romanian recipe;
- German main dish;
- Fruits cake;
- Pancakes with cheese and honey – a Moldovan recipe. Quick lunch. Departure to interesting surroundings, like the Saxon church from Cincu and the fortified Saxon church from Agnita. Back for our already cooked dinner.
In the morning we will cook:
- Ciorba de potroace – typical sour chicken soup (traditionally offered the day after the wedding party);
- Danube Delta typical soup;
- Tochitura moldoveneasca with polenta;
- Another Romanian main dish;
- Rubarba pie – specific for this region;
- Romanian type apple cake. Lunch. Visit to the fortress in Fagaras, free time. Dinner based on what we cooked.
• Double/twin room: 1142 Eur
• Single supplement: 161 Eur
• Accomodation in 3-4* hotels
• Meals according to the program
• Professional English-speaking guide services
• Entrance fees
• Printed info about the sites visited
• Luxury coach transport’ services with A/C
1. This program can be changed upon request.
2. For further information please contact: Cultural Romtour, firstname.lastname@example.org
• The order of the activities can be changed based on the weather conditions, or other conditions that might appear or be asked by the guests. The guests may change the daily program, the activities, do some others that can occasionally be done.
• In this region there are several important religious and traditional (even pre-Christian) feasts and people can take part in them.
List of special events in Maramures:
• We should not forget about the local markets which take place occasionally and should be visited as well.
- Pleases your eyes